2014 Lecole Estate Perigee Seven Hills, Walla Valley
Vintage : 2014
Country : USA
Region : Walla-Walla Valley
Perigee exemplifies this vineyard’s characteristic cedary, black cherry, richly structured elegance. Alluring aromas of blueberry, cigar box and lavender are accented with flavors of cassis and earth, on a fine tannin finish.
Blend" 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot, 3% Malbec
L’Ecole N° 41 is a third-generation family-owned, artisan winery located in the historic Frenchtown School depicted on our label. Founded in 1983, we were the third winery established in the Walla Walla Valley. We have become one of the most prominent and visible Walla Walla Valley wineries with national and international distribution.
Our focus is to produce ultra-premium, distinctive wines that reflect the unmistakable typicity of Washington State and the unique terroir of our Walla Walla Valley vineyards. We are engaged in growing and making 100% of our wine. Each bottle is handcrafted with a commitment to quality in the vineyards and the winery. More than three decades of winemaking experience, ongoing investments in our Walla Walla Estate Ferguson and Seven Hills Vineyards, and long-term relationships with many of the most prominent vineyards in Washington State are central to our well-known reputation for quality and consistency across our wine portfolio.
Today we are at the forefront of sustainable farming in the Walla Walla Valley, notably with our Estate Ferguson and Estate Seven Hills Vineyards, both of which are certified sustainable and certified Salmon Safe.
L’Ecole is one of the most honored wineries in Washington State and has garnered national and international accolades over the years for producing superior quality wines. We are proud to be recognized by Wine & Spirits Magazine as a Top 100 Winery of the Year fifteen times. In 2014, Decanter awarded our 2011 Estate Ferguson the International Trophy for Best Bordeaux Blend in the World! In 2016, the 2013 Ferguson won the International Trophy for Best New World Bordeaux Blend from Six Nations Wine Challenge.
Our Estate Perigee captures the essence of Seven Hills Vineyard’s characteristic rich elegance, seductive aromas and earthy structure. L’Ecole has been producing wines from Seven Hills Vineyard since 1993. We hand-select our oldest and most distinguished blocks to produce this stunning, fagship wine.
SEVEN HILLS VINEYARD
L’Ecole No 41 is a partner in the 230 acre acclaimed Seven Hills Vineyard, which is planted in wind-blown loess of geologically young and mineral rich soils. Originally planted in 1981, this Certifed Sustainable and Certifed Salmon Safe vineyard was recognized as one of the Ten Great Vineyards of the World by Wine & Spirits Magazine
- Over 30 years of meticulous vineyard management and winemaking experience are fundamental to the quality of our wines and reputation for excellence. We are engaged in growing and making 100% of our wines.
- Each lot was hand harvested ripe and gently crushed into 1.5 and 5 ton opentopped stainless steel fermenters.
- Gentle handling of the fruit through hand punch downs and gravity assisted movements were utilized throughout the entire winemaking process.
- The wine was cleanly racked to 100% small French oak barrels, 50% new, with fve rackings over 22 months.
- The 2014 vintage was a repeat of the warm 2013 vintage with heat units nearly identical, and no unusual winter frost, pest, or disease pressure.
- Bud break was early, followed by a warm spring and relatively early bloom. Fruit set was near ideal. Slowing tactics were implemented such as delayed thinning and leafng to delay veraison and ultimately harvest.
- Temperatures cooled mid-August stretching out the hang-time to complete veraison. Berry size and berry count per cluster were slightly up resulting in healthy crop yields.
- Modest fall day-time temperatures and cool nights resulted in a rich and vibrant structure with bold color development. Overall warmer conditions delivered ample sugars and surprisingly strong acids, particularly in our higher elevation sites.
Perigee exemplifes this vineyard’s characteristic cedary, black cherry, richly structured elegance. Alluring aromas of blueberry, cigar box and lavender are accented with favors of cassis and earth, on a fne tannin fnish.
95 points – Decanter
“Quite full, ample and powerful with a fine but firm chassis of tannins and inviting blueberry and herbal flavours. An engaging wine with more than a little presence” – DWWA Judges
94 points, The Wine Advocate
“A true blockbuster from this estate is the 2014 Perigee Seven Hills Vineyard Estate and it’s 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and the rest Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec. It offers killer notes of blackberries, cassis, crushed rocks and graphite, with a mineral-laced, full-bodied, concentrated style on the palate. Impeccably balanced, with terrific purity and building tannin, drink it anytime over the coming decade or two.”– Jeb Dunnuck
92 points, Wine Enthusiast
“This wine is a blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot and 3% Malbec. Hightoned aromas of raspberry, cherry, cranberry, barrel spice and dark fruit lead to concentrated, well-balanced red- and black-fruit flavors. The finish sails into the distance. It drinks beautifully now, but should have a long life in front of it.”– Sean Sullivan